Dr. Ben Carson’s speech at my school, Howard University, truly left me inspired; feeling the need to run out into the world and make a difference. His many words of wisdom struck me in a place I never knew existed. In that moment, I was urged to do things I have never thought of doing before. Listening to his story of him as a young boy in school showed me that just because you made mistakes in your past doesn’t mean your future is going to be a definite failure. His words told me that regardless of mistakes and how you start off in school, whether it is receiving bad grades or disrespecting other students or even teachers, the most important thing is to make a turn around. Then your future will turn out brighter than ever because there was a lesson learned and a struggle to produce great progression.
Dr. Carson inspired me to speak up for what I believe in and how I feel because that is exactly what “a university is for”. (Convocation Speech) We were brought here to refresh the world with different views and ideas about important issues in our lives; for if we think like others have thought, we are nothing “special”. We are merely a repeat of what others have done and we stand out in no way. Conformity is a form of suicide and if we choose to hide who we really are and how we think, the world will find itself in self-destruction.
Dr. Ben Carson stated that “The person who has the most to do with what happens to you is you. You can actually control your own destiny.” (Convocation Speech) He is absolutely right. I choose whether or not to do work for class, I choose when I will sleep and when I will study. I choose whether to go out or stay in. And today, because of Dr. Carson’s inspirational words, I choose to always stand out and become exactly what I wanted to be years ago. I will keep my dreams regardless of what others say and I will reclaim my future.
www.howard.edu
No comments:
Post a Comment